Friday, April 22, 2011

To be or not to be


To be or not to be is the question. Should I remove every passive word and replace them with active ones? Can it be done? Should it be done?

I have faced these tough questions, and yes, I have come to the conclusion I need to rewrite using an active voice. I'll be passive when I need to be passive, and sometimes I need to passive. Just like I need to listen and take what someone else says no matter how it makes me feel.

At this point, I feel like I took five steps backward and wonder if I can rise above this like I have every other thing. Hell yes I can! Like many writers' before me, if I knew what I knew now - I probably would have learned to knit instead.

I have nearly finished rewriting my whole novel, but now need to go back in and start over. Taking a few days break I realize I overreacted, but I see the light now.

The who/where/when/why/how element is present. Walking my characters through their five senses is a bit more complex for me. They can see, and smell, but I have forgotten about hearing, touch and taste.

I bought a book by Robert Walker here called Dead On Writing. I found the information in this book to be helpful.

I'm ready to complete this journey - are you ready to continue to follow me? I hope so because I'd be lost without you.

No comments: