Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Multitasking

I worked on chapter 23 rewrites all day, that was the plan. Having a plan is a great way to start the day, and half way into my day I found myself juggling more than a circus clown. I did work on my rewrites and editing, but that was between answering all my email.


I had chapter edits coming in from my editor Barbara that I had been waiting for since last week, but she was too busy, and me, I worked 50 hours last week. Today was as perfect day to handle that for both of us. She is past amazing and I'm happy to have found her. 


I have chapters 20, 21, and 22 back and perfectly inserted into the right places without screwing up (I even remembered to save this time). For those of you that don't follow me on a regular basis. I send my editor one chapter at a time, and even she doesn't know what is going to happen next. I love it. I have a captivated reader already.


I have a 15 page chapter looming ahead, and I still think I'm missing a body. I need to decide if I want to break that up into two chapters, but I think there is a lot going on in those 15 pages, so I might keep them as is. You do need to stick to your original framework and there is no room for major changes, rewriting yes, but not whole changes. 


I wrote about an old dog today in chapter 23 that reminded me of an old dog I saw before. I drove down a country road on my way to work when I was younger, and every day I drove past this farm. There was nothing remarkable about it really, but there was an old dog, possibly a lab that was old as hell. Everyday I watched him hop around on three legs (he was that old) and sometimes he would just be laying on the grass in front of the house, panting heavily. Poor tired old dog. I wrote about him today and I wonder. Does every farm have some old dog watching over its owners? He can barely move, but yet he does, something to think about. 


You may get older, but you should never give up. When I'm taken out of this world. I won't go easily. I'll go kicking screaming and fighting to the end. 

No comments: