Friday, February 4, 2011

Coming Soon



Let me say, I haven't been writing my novel, "The Bone Extractor," for over a year to have it make its way into a slush pile (after six months of waiting). I know someone who found an agent, and after a year of waiting, she told him she couldn't find anyone who would even read it.


This is 2011, and there are other options. I want my novels to be read. Research is a great thing, and I have recently read some informative blogs with opinions about self publishing. Did I lose you?


There are many authors, both traditionally published or newbies that have moderate success selling Kindle, and ebooks on Amazon. Some are putting ebooks on Amazon, once the rights have reverted back to them, and doing very well. I have heard authors that have busted their asses going to book signings that their publishers wouldn't pay for. To have an official book signing at a bookstore a publisher, must pay the bookstore $50 coop fee. Later the same author put ebooks on Amazon and made even more money without having to bust his ass (something us writers need as we sit on it all day writing).


If you're a writer, you want to spend your time writing.


Check out this blog, it's both informative and surprising. There are several guest bloggers too. Go here.




There are many people that think publishers are the only way to go, and I say good for you, (publishers make more money that way). Self publishing does not mean you have a black mark over your name either. Many authors that have self publish have agents contact them or publishers wishing to publish them, if that's what you want.


Bottom line is why pay someone to do something for you that you can do yourself. If you're a writer, and serious about writing, you should already have a Facebook account. If you don't have a blog start one, and write blogs frequently. Let people know who you are, who you really are. Write about your struggles or give them a story or two (who doesn't like that). Join writers groups and interact on them. Stay away from ones that are more of a clique ) if you're like me, I found some of them already.


Quality writing is a must, covers could be an issue, but most of the book covers I have seen are from stock photo sights. I'm more fortunate as I have a great artist to do my covers. 


The future is bright, and I feel more inspired to write now that I don't have to worry about what a publisher may like. This my path, feel free to find your own, and I wish all of my writer friends success in whatever avenue you choose. I'll be there to support you. 


My blog has over 200 followers, and who am I?? Follow me on Twitter. 
  

2 comments:

Nick Rose said...

You are starting to become who you are meant to be. I have watched you grow and learn so much these last 2 years. You have a strong and true voice that people will listen to.
It's time to rock the world!

Widow_Lady302 said...

Madison...I feel the angst in your post! You want the work you put so much of yourself into to get an audience! Like you said at the end...whatever path you choose to take with your publishing career I support you! Some people self-publishing is the kiss of death, but time I think are changing in that. I think if you can show "publishers" that your work sells in the self-publishing venue they cannot deny results! Good luck sweetie I am rooting for you!
<3