Saturday, June 4, 2011

Getting personal

My mom has been battling breast cancer since last year and she's suppose to be okay. I hope that remains to be the case. My dad found out he has melanoma and had it burned off, they're doing a biopsy. If it's malignant they may be taking some limp nodes out. It's scary, what are the odds that both my parents would get cancer?

My parents aren't that old, seventies, but I have seen people much younger die. The thought that it can strike so close to home is without question, one of the hardest things I have ever had to deal with. I cherish both of them and would hate to have anything happen to either of them. 

My mom helped me out when I needed it the most. She watched my kids when I worked (before I met Nick) and she takes my daughter to school if I work the night before, because I don't get home early enough from work. Not long ago she even retrieved my car keys because I locked them in my car at work. I can't tell you how thankful I was. She didn't even question it, she just came. My mom is the sweetest person I have ever known, and she never has a bad word to say about anyone.

My dad is the typical male, strong, opinionated, and we have butted heads when I was a child. He was strict and I needed it, but truth be known, I was a good girl for the most part, because I was afraid of my dad! He didn't want me to date until I was eighteen and threatened he'd throw me out of the house if I ever got pregnant. I love the fact that he put the fear of god into me, because it never happened. He even worried when I got pregnant at age 34, lol. I think he still thought I'd move in with him. He just didn't want to have to raise his grandchildren, who could blame him. When I was a teenager, he told me I always had to have the last word (it's true too) and I now have a son that does the same damn thing, lol. It's the mother's curse I tell you! 

For those that don't know what the mother's curse is, let me tell you it can come back and bite you in the ass. The mother's curse is that you will have a child just like you when you have children.

My dad always took us fishing and camping. We didn't have a camper we had a tent. You can't call it camping unless you really rough it, and no better way to say you're roughing it than sleeping on the ground. I remember the tent fell down on one of those trips during a thunderstorm.

On the way home, my dad stopped at every little fishing hole, I just wanted to go home. The only thing worse than that is Christmas tree shopping. He'll stop at every damn tree farm there is. It's all about finding the "perfect tree." I wonder if I thought that was insane when I was a child?

I'm lucky to have such amazing people for parents.



No comments: