Thursday, June 30, 2011

I love to write


Nearing the end of writing another novel, I feel the need to write something much darker. I penned a flash fiction story for submission and started another short story, both of them dark fiction. I do not nor will I ever consider myself a horror writer. I do like writing about gore on occasion.

To be considered horror one usually needs to be writing about something supernatural, although crime stories are lumped in the same category. In writing about crime, I like to write details that may be gruesome or not, depending on the story. I don't like it to dominate my central theme of the story. I also don't think romance or any other element should either.

When I write a thriller, I want it to be about the crime, detectives, and killer. Who is he, why does he do this or that, why can't the detectives find him/her? Everything else is filler. It can be interesting filler, but it is what it is.

I like to focus on what's important in the story I'm trying to tell. In 3rd person, I like to stick to basics and write chapters that are riveting and don't read like a textbook. Something related to the crime happens in every chapter.

When I write in 1st person my story is character driven, the plot is secondary. I want compelling chapters, but all of them may or not be about the main plot. I like to write humor, and this is where I shine.

I have those days that I think everything I write is crap, but I try not to let myself feel discouraged. I had one of those days this week, but I know my WIP is good. I think that's part of being a creative person, we always strive to be better.

No comments: