Saturday, July 2, 2011

Happy Fourth of July





Fourth of July means many things to many people. In the United States, we like to blow stuff up (I'm talking about fireworks). I live in Michigan where many fireworks are illegal (unless they are used by professionals during a fireworks displays). The police is kept busy trying to bust all the stands selling illegal fireworks (the kind that shoot up into the air). There are many smaller ones that are legal, like bottle rockets, ect.

There are many people that go to other states to purchase fireworks, apparently they are not illegal in every state. Some people don't think the trek to Ohio or Indiana is that much of an inconvenience.

It makes me nervous to think that some dumb ass drunk person is going to be blowing shit up. I live in an apartment complex, and fireworks are banned. I know this rule will be so broken.

 I knew so many kids when I was one myself that put a firecracker in a bottle and blew it up taking chunks of their face with it (the stupidity of youth). It's not as if we were told not to, and when you're a kid you don't know what will happen unless you do it and it goes wrong.

When I was younger I lived in a small town. We had a Fourth of July parade every year that ended up making it's way to a park. I remember it was nice, but they basically ruined the whole thing when years later (I was grown up by then) they ripped the park out to make room for road accommodations for an outlet mall. They promised to relocate the park, but that never happened. In politics if they can make some money it will out weigh what's right.

We went to "Hoyt park" for a fireworks displays every year when I was a kid. I hated the large bang fireworks, and that hasn't changed all these years later. I also hate thunder. It wasn't in the best part of town, but that was the only place back then to go for a large display. We made a day of it going to the park early in the day for a picnic, something we always did.

Times were simpler back then, and when I say back in the day believe me. I'm old enough to say it.

I hope everyone has a safe Fourth of July!

No comments: