Sunday, August 22, 2010

What is your favorite genre?

What is your favorite genre isn't a simple answer for most. Depending on where you have been in your life, some appeal to you more than others.

Horror is struggling to become mainstream. If you aren't Stephen King you will be struggling to be recognized by mainstream publishers. I for one can't read a Stephen King novel, it become tiresome and boring. Waiting for something to happen takes too long to hold my interest.

I want to be hooked from the first paragraph or at least intrigued enough to continue.

Romance does good even in these hard times. Everyone needs a little hope and a solid connection between two characters.

3 comments:

Vegetarian Cannibal said...

Oh, I so agree about Stephen King. I don't understand why people rave and rave about his books. They're BORING as hell! Takes him 3/4 of the book to get to the scary shit, and when he does, I've already lost interest and moved on to something else.

Speculative fiction is my favorite genre. I like stories with a hint of a political message.

Unknown said...

I thought I was going to get some flack for saying something about Mr. King.

Unknown said...

Political message? I wouldn't want to touch that subject myself. What fiction needs is more realism. Tell a story that someone can say. "I think they are talking about me."